Thursday, February 12, 2015

Correction of Sex in Birth Certificate

No, this post does not involve sex change or sex reassignment surgery but merely correction of erroneous entries pertaining to gender(sex) in Philippine birth certificates.

Before the passage of Republic Act 10172, in case of erroneous entries of genders, one had no other option but to file a Petition for the Correction of Entries in the Civil Registry under Rule 108 of the Rules of Court. This Petition under Rule 108 could be quite tedious and may take time, (not to mention money) from the petitioner since one had to secure the services of lawyer, pay his acceptance and appearance fees, court fees, etc. just to correct one entry (such as gender).

With Republic Act 10172, one need not secure the services of a lawyer in order to file a petition in court. In fact, filing of a petition in court is no longer necessary! It is as simple as filling out a form and having your signature notarized, but that is after you have secured some necessary documents. As regards gender, the entry in the birth certificate must be erroneous, this simply means that you must be biologically male or female and the entry appearing in your birth certificate states you are otherwise. Remember: One must be biologically male or female. You cannot change your gender if you had sex reassignment surgery or had a sex change.

No comments:

Post a Comment